Sunday 8 November 2009

A week in summary

My resolution to write an entry on this every day lasted, let me see now... a day. However, in news that will delight me, the writer, and would I am sure delight all readers if I in fact had any, I have managed to spend the afternoon today writing for the first time in a very long time, so perhaps even that one blog entry has, you know, jogged something loose.

Here's what I have been doing this week:

1. Going to the theatre. I went to see Bedroom Farce at the Kingston Rose, a play I like by a playwright I like. Jane Asher and Nicholas Le Prevost were in it and were masterfully experienced and urbane and extremely funny. The younger folk in it? Not so much. I don't think it can be that young people cannot do Ayckbourn, I think it is more that they just managed to cast quite a lot of people who aren't funny. Funny is not the same as being good at acting. Also, it had not one, not two, but three sons/daughters of famous actors in it. I have views about this. I'll share them another time.

2. Going to the cinema. I saw An Education with Zoe T (she was with me, she wasn't in it). It was set in Twickenham, where I grew up, which made me oddly happy even though I didn't recognise any of the locations. It's very good, but I think the chat about Carey Mulligan being Oscar-worthy is OTT. She's lovely in it, but she's been lovely in everything I have seen her in, but the same sort of lovely every time. Possibly not her fault - clearly she is being cast as a certain type of character - but not ready for Oscar-chat yet, that's what I say.

3. Watching Strictly. I thought about doing a proper long blog about this, but others are doing it already and in a very funny way, so read them, not this. Maybe I'll do it another week. A few thoughts, though.

a) Dear Producers, you have leapt on the possibility of another showmance (Ricky and Natalie) with indecent haste. Let it lie. You too, Tess - no-one thinks you're funny.
b) There is a special place in hell for the person who decided the best use of BLACKPOOL WEEK was a bloody pro Viennese waltz, for God's sake.
c) Bruce singing is good for no-one, least of all Bruce. "What a rare this has been." What?
d) This was the first week that I voted. I voted for Jade and Ian. It's a losing cause, but I love them.

I think I'll try to blog again tomorrow. I bet you (by which I mean I) can't wait.

No comments: