Friday 27 November 2009

Anyone for tennis?

I am off to the O2 arena this evening for a spot of tennis-watching. I have never been to the O2 before and I have not been to see live tennis for a number of years so, as you can imagine, I have been rather excited. I have checked today's order of play. That's the order of play for the ATP World Finals, featuring the top male players in the world this year. What will I be watching?

Davydenko vs Soderling

That's right, team. Davydenko vs Soderling. In a championship featuring Federer, Nadal, Murray and Djokovic, the Friday night game is Davydenko vs Soderling.

Now, let me be very clear. I rather like Robin Soderling. I think he's got a nice line in self-deprecating humour and he beat Nadal at the French this year, which was the only way that Federer was ever going to win the title, and God knows I love Federer. Plus he's only in there because my adored Andy Roddick is injured, so underdog etc etc. Davydenko, though, is another matter. He is a player who seems to have been in the top 10 forever while not actually doing very much. I mean, obviously, he does rather a lot and must win a lot of matches, but did we enjoy any of them? Do we remember any of them? And is he, in fact, a bit dodgy?

My point is, I will have no difficulty finding someone to get behind and I will enjoy myself because it's live sport with a bunch of my friends. BUT it's the ATP finals, the end-of-year extravaganza and I'm watching Davydenko vs Soderling.

Not cool, ATP dudes. Not cool.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It is a bitter blow and proof, yet again, that there is no god. Or at least not a tennis-loving god.

However, might be worth putting a bet on and seeing how the Russki reacts.

katetf said...

I like your style. Though to get a reaction, I suspect we would have to put the bet on through some dodgy bomber-jacketed Russki mafioso. Let's keep our eyes peeled courtside.